Monday, February 4, 2013

Emeli Sandé: “Next To Me”



I recently discovered the Scottish singer, Emeli Sandé and her song, Next To Me. Immediately taken with her clear, soulful voice, I was then quickly inspired by its catchy “woo-hoos,” as well as the lyrics, which convey unconditional, unwavering support and reassurance from someone close, whether it be a friend, a lover, a family member, even a spiritual connection. The song often takes on the welcome feel of a Southern spiritual.

“…yeah I know there’s no need for me to panic, cause I’ll find him, I’ll find him next to me/When the sky is gray and all the doors are closing, and the rising pressure makes it hard to breathe/When all I need’s a hand to stop the tears from falling, I will find him, I’ll find him next to me.”

Sandé recently performed at the legendary London venue, The Royal Albert Hall. Beautifully filmed, this Next To Me clip once again confirms how vast, yet intimate the venue really is. The clip also captures audience members clapping and singing the lyrics, not only showcasing Sandé’s legitimate (and hopefully growing) popularity, but how the song’s lyrics, message and construction deeply resonate with its listeners, and now this new listener. Her band is also terrific. Is there anything better than hearing super-smooth backing vocalists? I’m gonna say no. Ready to be taken to the church of The Royal Albert Hall? All rise... ladies and gentlemen... Emeli Sandé. BSo



No comments:

Post a Comment